Saturday 20 November 2010

Zero calories, fat free birthday cake.

My daughter in law Haruko, is 40 years old today.  I didn't have 40 candles so improvised with the cake.
I glued two blocks of floral foam together, then cut out a circle.
There are lots of layers.  Dozens of laurel leaves 
Each picked to be of a uniform size.  Secured underneath and then each one pinned to overlap the previous one.

It takes a long time, and a lot of patience - but it stops you eating!

You only need tips of shrubs from the garden and moss to fill the gaps.

And in true Alice in Wonderland fashion with the flowers

Off with their heads!  The flowers last so much longer this way

I think  it looks good enough to eat - and smells divine!
The chunky candle should last at least a week of night time lighting.

I think I will make a few Christmas cakes like this!

(Oh - before I forget - I have baked a really BIG calorific wicked chocolate cake too!)


15 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would love a birthday cake exactly like this...great idea!!!

themessycraftroom said...

Oh Lottie I want a cake like that too. Its beautiful and I bet it smells lovely . You've made a real lovely job of it. Hugs x ChrisB

Lorraine said...

this is really lovely and she is going to love..your comment about the chocolate cake made me laugh loads!

imperfectly natural mama said...

So beautiful, a really creative alternative to a chocolate cake!

sam21ski said...

What a fabulous idea Lottie and it looks stunning xxxx

Createology said...

Lottie this cake is beautiful. It should be the only cake I ever have. :O) Happy weekend...

Anonymous said...

What a clever Idea Lottie and a stunning gift. Well done you !!]
Hugs June xxxxx

LazyKay said...

What a lovely original idea - I'm sure she loved it!

xxxxxxxxx

Lynn Stevens said...

Now thats my kind of cake, no calories and smells great! bravo and Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Shane Pollard said...

Such a gorgeous birthday cake Lottie and perfumed too - what more could a girl want!!

I've just read a few of your older posts and it's lovely to see all the amazing things you've been creating - there's no stopping you!!

Wishing you an enjoyable weekend.
Shane

Anonymous said...

How lovely...I bet she loved it!

Netty said...

Its wonderful and am sure she loved it. Annette x

Nancy Goldman said...

What a clever idea. It's truly beautiful and I like the no calories part.

Kate Creates - a lot of mess, just ask my family..... said...

what a fabulous idea. I never think to use flowers for things.

Deb said...

I love thee, Lottie! Your garden must be spectacular.
Deborah--glisteninthesunshine.blogspot.com