Tuesday 16 November 2010

'Make an item of your choice using stencils'

I thought I would have a go at this swap - it's taken me quite a long time to do this - but its been fun.
I had bought a yard of this from a charity shop - it's quite thick material

I had to do this in stages.  Firstly I painted the metallic copper layer over a stencil and left it to dry overnight.

Then I painted the pearlescent on top through another stencil - left that to dry overnight and repeated the two processes the next couple of days.  (Having been doing Tam's free course, I have learned a lot about layering - it really makes a huge difference.)

I cut out a heart from the same material, then painted the pearlescent over stencils - yes you guessed it, left it overnight to dry.  I painted around the edge of the frayed heart, transferred an image directly onto the heart, stamped 'Best Friend' with Stazon, and then sewed all the layers together.


Hemmed the top, sewed on the vintage lace borders.  I haven't decided whether to just sew on the cord or to thread through a stick and tie the cord on. I'll experiment before I send it off.

This photo is just to show you the difference it makes taking a picture at night with just the room light!
The other photos were taken under a 'daylight' bulb lamp.

12 comments:

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous work Lottie xxxx

Sandies' Patch said...

It's really beautiful!
Well done Lottie!

Sandie xx

themessycraftroom said...

Hi Lottie This is lovely worth all the layering and waiting. Hugs x ChrisB

Createology said...

Lottie you are so right about the layering and the depth it adds to the collage. Time well spent. Lovely work. Happy creating...

Lynn Stevens said...

Its beautiful lottie!

crafty creations said...

beautiful work Lottie and well worth the drying time x Hilda

Moira said...

Oh Lottie this is really beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

First I want to say how much I like the image you used and, second, great job of layering! I'm really afraid to do that with things because I always think I'll end up putting too much on and wrecking the whole thing. You did it perfectly!

Lorraine said...

what a lovely fabric piece lottie..will have to get back into using fabric soon with the brayer of course!! we have learnt so much off the course havent we

Ati said...

It's beautiful. You put a lot of attention in that piece. Lucky person who swaps with you!

Neet said...

Sorry I have not been calling in simply ages. Need to go back in your posts and play catch up.
What a delightful piece you have made. You really have got textiles off to perfection.

Anonymous said...

definately worth all the time - stunning piece.