Tuesday 29 June 2010

Rummaging around in the remnants - and recycling! **Edited**


I have got my copy of this months Craft stamper - and couldn't wait to use the free flower head stamp that came with it.

I looked through the magazine to get some inspiration on how to use it - so this is my effort having been inspired by Katy Fox's Vintage Hanging on page 7.

I am not spoiling things for any of  you who have not yet got your copy - as this does not look like hers at all -  you'll see when you look!  But it was inspired by her hanging!

As usual I am waffling before I take a deep breath and add the photos.  So just to set the scene - I used the free stamp as did Katy!  The rest of the materials came from my recycling pot of tea bags - don't groan - wait until you see them - then groan!  Plus a rummage in my recycled remnants bag produced some more 'stuff', but a bit of ribbon was new!

Here goes............
Stamped flowers on teabags. 

The middles (buttons) look more grungy and vintage than the photos show

I layered the stamped teabag onto some netting, and melted the netting with the flame from a church candle.  It left the edges with a lovely mixture of vintage brown and some wax too.


In my remnants box I found some thick 'stuff' that looked like a bit of old sacking, and also a bit of cream bed sheet.   Both of these I cut and frayed.

When I was rummaging for the church candle I came across an old book called Munro's Book-keeping Down to Date! 

It was once the property of a
Hugh Cummings Esq
201 Calder Street
Glasgow.

I can only think I bought it because it is all about book-keeping and I was a book-keeper!

Flicking through it to tear out a suitable aged sheet to use, I came across the accounts of the 'Society of Arts, dated 1803 - so  I used that page as you can see above.

The 'Flapper' lady is an image I transferred onto the torn piece of sheet which I aged with Walnut stain distress ink.

It's taken me most of the day to do - allowing time for the ink and glues to dry

Once all the elements were glued on I glued it onto mountboard

And added the hanger.


I made some more tea bag flowers and at present they are held together temporarily with button brads

When I come to use them on another project the brads will be replaced and the flowers sewn on with buttons to suit the project

** Edit**
Thank you so very much for your comments I really thought that there would have been lots of rolled eyes and 'get a life woman' using tea bags!

Jo Capper-Sandon said...



I totally agree with Chris in that this is certainly WOW! Love how you've given the opportunity for us to see it close ups and at different angles. I bet this is so gorgeously tactile. Certainly worth all the effort Lottie

I have you to thank for that Jo - cos I studied how  you photograph your work and have been practising! (Or should that be shamelessly copying!)

19 comments:

themessycraftroom said...

Wow oh Wow!!!. You've done it again . You've surpassed yourself this time girl. This is awesome. Will have to wait for my copy of the magazine.Sulking now.
I think this piece is beautiful.The flowers look gorgeous. Will have to have a good read. But I know won't beable to make anything anywhere near this piece of art. HugsxxChrisB

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

I totally agree with Chris in that this is certainly WOW! Love how you've given the opportunity for us to see it close upo and at different angles. I bet this is so gorgeously tactile. Certainly worth all the effort Lottie.

Aisling said...

Gorgeous work again, Lottie!

Sally H said...

Lottie this is stunning! I love the different textures and the natural colours too. Beautiful. Won't get my craft stamper until Friday or Saturday, so I'm a bit envious!

Carol Q said...

what a beautiful project Lottie. lots of different textures and I love the way you've made it looked so aged

Hels Sheridan said...

Utterly GORGEOUS art Lottie...tis beautiful hun x

Cath Wilson said...

Lottie, it's stunning - love everything about it and your own particular 'take' on it. I had mail from a Miss Faversham while in York - strange woman, lol - must get a private email to you but just too tired right now, so will do it tomorrow, but thank you ever so much, you little darling! Will get back to you...

Pearl said...

I like I like alot, love the tea bag flowers.

Sandies' Patch said...

Is there no end to your talents?
Who'd have thought that used teabags could be made into wearable art? I recycle mine in the compost but, have been known to use them to dye material or put in flower pots before the soil goes in, the worms love them!
There's endless inspiration for their uses...maybe I'll make some on sticks for a Autumn/Winter floral arrangement? So many ideas, so little time...

Sandie xx

Anonymous said...

Lottie, this is gorgeous and such a great idea to use teabags.

xx Jill

Shane Pollard said...

Hello Lottie

I've just stumbled on your blog for the first time and I LOVE what you've done with your new stamp using teabags.

I'm a newbie at all this having just retired.
Can you explain for me the teabag process - are you using 'unused' teabags and what brand.
I tried with some but I made an awful mess!!!

Please come and visit me and I'll get out my prettiest teacups and make you very welcome!

Kathy said...

this is fab love it and how you displayed it in the book

Ink Stained Roni said...

Beautiful!! I love the idea of using tea bags! :) I'm so glad you shared it.

Sounds like a cool magazine by the way. Too bad we don't get it here in the US.

sam21ski said...

Stunning piece Lottie, fabulous flowers and great photos

You haven't spoilt anything for me as I don't take Craft Stamper, so it's lovely to see what you've made xxxxx

Createology said...

Super unique and creative. Your flowers are very fun. Happy creating...

Angelnorth said...

I have stamped on many things but never would have thought to stamp on a teabag! What a fanatstic idea, they look wonderful Lottie!

Val said...

Lottie - can't wait to see what you get up to in the Journal Workshop - this is absolutely beautiful - a real knockout!

~*~Patty said...

Recycled tea bags! Brilliant!!! I knew I'd been saving mine for something special ... other than using a few silk tea bags as wings for altered cutlery ;)

... sorry got so excited I forgot to say "hello" from Kiwi Carole's class ... very happy you have joined in the fun

Your blog and creativity are wonderful and yes, I do believe you work/play in a STUDIO, your dh is correct!

Zuzu's Blog said...

another WOW from me... you really have grown as an altered artist and crafter lottie... your pages on the bolg are gorgeous...