Tuesday 4 May 2010

You either love them or hate them - but you have to admit they are stunning

Yes it is the Starling.
He's coloured with copics over watercolours

So, are they thieving thugs in your garden?  Or gorgeous shimmery irridescent rainbow works of art?  I do have a love/hate relationship with starlings.  I marvel at their gorgeous colours in the sunshine, and their sharp brain - but now and again I do despair when they arrive in 'gangs' and 'hog' all the seeds!

Another newspaper page - painted with acrylics in layers.  Image printed onto white paper and painted with the hope that I have captured his colours.

I rather like him anyway
Off to make another

Have you guessed yet which book the images came from?

I'll tell you tomorrow

6 comments:

LazyKay said...

Well, on here, they are definitely beautiful. Gorgeous work.

xxxxxxxxx

Cath Wilson said...

Afraid I'm one who isn't a fan - they're greedy. Unlike other birds who only take what they need, starlings will eat everything they can see, taking it from other birds. Page looks good, though :)

Createology said...

Your colors are beautiful on the Starling. I do not have Copics but they seem wonderful. Happy creating...

Lynne K said...

Well, Lottie, love or hate starlings, your painting is certainly stunning. I don't know how you've managed to make it look irridescent, but it's beautiful.

Are your pics from the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady?

Zoechaos said...

mostly I love them, went over to Brighton last autumn to watch them in formation flight as they settled under the pier to roost for the night. Their nonstop chatter and squabbling can be a bit much in the garden but watching them work in unison. We have beautiful birds in this country your book is becoming a fabulous tribute to them and the way you coloured this bird perfect.

Sally H said...

At my bird table I'm not so keen, but flying in great undulating clouds as the sun begins to set, I adore them, and you have to love that iridescence. Stunning painting, Lottie!